Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Jason Alexander Richman

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Kansas on

Q: I was injured while unemployed i now have no income what can i do

Jason Alexander Richman answered on Jan 4, 2016

There are a number of possibilities depending on your specific circumstances including: disability benefits (through insurance or a state public benefit), Social Security, or various forms of public assistance (welfare). You will need to discus this all with someone from social services in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on

Q: If an inmate gets attacked in his sleep because the guard on duty had fallen asleep, can the prison be held responaible?

Hi my daughter's father is currently incarcerated and recently was attacked by other inmates in his sleep and cut up really bad. I was told that the guard on duty had fallen asleep. I was wondering if he can sue the prison because I don't think that should have been able to happen and I believe... Read more »

Jason Alexander Richman answered on Jan 4, 2016

It is possible but not certain that a viable claim may arise from the incident that you have described. Certainly Prisons can be sued for inmate injuries in various circumstances including cases where the injuries result directly from the criminal actions of third parties (other inmates); however,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for New York on

Q: Can you sue after 20 years as a victim off attempted homicide

Jason Alexander Richman answered on Jan 4, 2016

No. Their are statutes of limitation and statutes of repose in NY that will almost certainly operate to prevent any such civil lawsuit. The only way to know for absolute certain is to consult a local attorney with all of the specific details and dates.

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law and Personal Injury for New York on

Q: Am I entitled to days owed to me vacation, paid holidays, & personal days due to being out of work on the job injury?

I'm currently employed as a Police officer and I have several days owed to me. Is my employer required to pay me for those days I was unable to use due to my on the job injury? Vacation, personal leave, & paid holidays can not carry over.

Jason Alexander Richman answered on Jan 4, 2016

Whether your accrued time and leave will be paid or exhausted by your period of disability depends on a number of factors including the terms of your employment, and collective bargaining agreement (contract), and the length of time that you have been out of work. A detailed consultation with a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for New York on

Q: Would my daughter have more rights than the grandparents to get custody of my son if something happens to me

Jason Alexander Richman answered on Jun 2, 2014

In the question of providing for children in the event of the untimely death of a parent or parents, it is important to draft a will with a trusts and estates attorney. It is much less complicated and expensive than most people think it is. However, because so many factors enter in to the custody... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.