Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Gina Anne Smalley
2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia on
Q: My grandson 16 in November has been living in a terrible relationship with his mother. He wants a emancipation.

He ran away last year because his mother is on drugs. We went to Juvenile court and they made him go back home. They did require counseling But mother has refused and said she did not need it. This child has beg for help he is failing in school. I feel that he is a slave he is not allowed to even... Read more »

Gina Anne Smalley
Gina Anne Smalley answered on Jun 8, 2021

You and/or your grandson have options. Without more information, it is hard to answer whether or not he is entitled to emancipation. You may also have grandparent custodial rights. You should seek out a lawyer knowledgable in these areas.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: Can my ex move with kids out of states, if I’m not okay with it.

She said she had to move due to not being able to afford the rent in the area that we live in and could get some help from family if she moved out of state.

Gina Anne Smalley
Gina Anne Smalley answered on May 27, 2021

She doesn't need your permission to move, but you have potential remedies to keep the children here. You should contact an attorney to discuss your options.

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: Do I have a case under the equitable caregiver statute?

I have no biological ties to a child that I have cared for since her birth 11 years ago. Her mother has decided that she wants to remove her from my life? Do I have a case for visitation if I have proof that I have been providing care for all these years?

Gina Anne Smalley
Gina Anne Smalley answered on Apr 30, 2021

Probably. My specific answer will depend on several circumstances unique to your situation. My office has several equitable caregiver cases and can help guide you. Please feel free to reach out for a consult. 770-794-4460.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.