Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Peter M. LaSorsa

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Contracts for Illinois on

Q: I received a call from an IT company . Demanding payment. Can they do this?

I did pay for their service several years ago but did no business with them afterwards. They indicated the service has been continued as the contract indicated auto renewal. They wanted $999.99 a year since 2016. They offered to settle for several lesser amounts and wound up settling for $199.99... Read more »

Peter M. LaSorsa answered on Jun 12, 2019

It would depend on the terms of the agreement you signed. And it would also depend on how they were taking payment from you and if they can prove you were given services or the services were available to you during that time. You should seek an attorney to review your agreement--pay the hourly... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Illinois on

Q: I need probono services for divorce/family law.

I have been married for 18 years in 2000 Aug. I have two kids ages 14 yrs, 9 yrs. We were married in India and are US citizens now. I have been homemaker for most of time I was married. I tried part time work but gave up due to health issues and to take care of kids. I am not sure how I can afford... Read more »

Peter M. LaSorsa answered on Jun 12, 2019

Even though you may not have money up front for an attorney's fees, if you hire an attorney he or she may be able to collect attorney fees from your husband through court order. You should check with local attorneys who handle divorce cases.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Illinois on

Q: What recourse do I have when my girlfriend walked out on a lease with both names on lease in Chicago?

Resigned a lease together starting 5/1/19, on 4/21 she had all her things moved out and sent me an email. We are both on lease. There is a 5 month buy out or can try to sublet. I don't want to move due to time constraints and work. She wants out of lease. Rent too steep alone. Do I have any options.

Peter M. LaSorsa answered on Jun 12, 2019

You could file an action to force her to perform under the lease or for damages under the lease. You may end up paying more in attorney fees than you collect. You could point out to her that you can move out and she can take the lease over and try to solve it amicably.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Family Law and Civil Litigation for Illinois on

Q: In the state of Illinois. Do I have to return a Promise Ring to an exboyfrien?

He now wants the ring, claiming he is paying on it.

But also, he is back with his ex girlfriend.

Peter M. LaSorsa answered on Jun 12, 2019

I agree it is a gift, but if he doesn't have clean title to the gift, he didn't own it outright to give it to you--so technically the store owns it not you. So if he stops making payments the store could ask for it back. It would be no different than if he purchases a car or house and was making... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.