Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Michael B. Ipson

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Utah on

Q: Can I evict a 23 year old child that will not pay anything to help with bills and wonn't follow reasonable rules?

Michael B. Ipson answered on Mar 19, 2012

Yes, you can. Of course you, would need to follow current eviction laws to do so. I recently helped a mother evict her daughter who was emotionally and physically abusive.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on

Q: Is my former spouse required to help with school registration fees in addition to child support?

We've been divorced for 18 months and I didn't think of this originally so it's not in the divorce decree. He does pay the court ordered child support but refuses to help with the annual registration fees in public school. I have 2 kids in high school and 2 kids in elementary. The HS fees are close... Read more »

Michael B. Ipson answered on Mar 19, 2012

The divorce decree is what is controlling in these situations. If it is not included in the decree then you would need to petition to modify in order to get it added. If it is included you would need to file an order to show cause. There very well may be some language in the decree stating that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on

Q: Can cops force there way into your home and arrest you withouy a warrent

Michael B. Ipson answered on Jun 12, 2011

Normally, no the police must get a warrant or consent in order to search your home. However if there are "exigent circumstances" like knowing a person is being assulted in your home, they are in "hot" pursuit of a suspect, or have cause to belive the individuals are destroying evidence in the home... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on

Q: If police interrogate you should you remain silent and wait for a lawyer before answering questions?

Michael B. Ipson answered on Jun 12, 2011

If you think there is any chance of being charged with the crime the police are interrogating you about then YES, ask for an attorney and exercise your right to silence. By talking to the police you are only helping them gather evidence against you. Often they will make promises like saying they... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Utah on

Q: How do i find out if someone really won a 13 million$ lawsuit?

Michael B. Ipson answered on Jun 13, 2011

If there was a judgment entered it will be a public record. The easiest way to search the public records is to go to a court house and do search of the parties to the case. Many court houses have computers available which you can search public records like court dockets. If the clerks have time... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.