Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Russell J. Haynes
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Tax Law for Virginia on
Q: My loans were forgiven due to a medical hardship (disability). Is there any exception to making that income?

There were exceptions but I didn't fit any that I saw but I'm not a lawyer. It seems unfair to forgive the loans and then make it an incredible amount to tax. The same hardship should not make it income in some cases. I'm ready to have the original 77,710.00 active again. It's... Read more »

Russell J. Haynes
Russell J. Haynes answered on Apr 7, 2016

Yes, Congress in its infinite wisdom, chose to treat the forgiveness of debt as income for tax purposes, despite the liquidity problem that comes with a taxpayer being so broke a bank won't chase them for money, but then hitting a broke person with a big income tax bill. But they do it... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Virginia on
Q: i was recently (sept 2015) discharged from a chapter 13 bankruptcy, the irs was included in my payment plan i recently

received notice from irs that i owe additional money from 2004,06,07,08, and 09. my attorney says that they will not help because my case ended in September. i feel they should still represent me because those years were included in my chapter 13. am i wrong?

Russell J. Haynes
Russell J. Haynes answered on Apr 7, 2016

The IRS is often very bad about posting payments received during bankruptcy to the correct modules. A chapter 13 plan must pay all of the "priority" tax debts in full over the life of the plan. So the IRS should have applied the money they received from your plan payments to your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for New York on
Q: Can the IRS overrule a court document for claiming dependants.

Many years back I had the IRS take back money from me because they said I had been claiming a dependent I wasn't entitled to. The judge had literally written into my court Agreement that I was the person who was allowed to claim my son and my taxes. They went back some five or six years... Read more »

Russell J. Haynes
Russell J. Haynes answered on Apr 7, 2016

In general, the person who provides more than half the support for the dependent is entitled to claim the exemption for that dependent on their tax return. However, exemptions for dependents can be allocated between former spouses by agreement. It is quite common in divorce cases for spouses to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.