Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Drew Elesh
2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Illinois on
Q: I would like to know the process of obtaining green card for my mom who has been living in the U.S for most of her life

I would like to obtain a green card for my mom who is currently living in the US. I am 25 and married. My mother has been in the US for more than a little more than 26 years. I would like to know the process and the possibilities of getting her a green card.

Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh answered on Jan 24, 2020

Your mother may have entered the USA without inspection (ewi). If she did she will need a waiver.

To get the waiver approved she would need a qualifying relative such as USC spouse or LPR spouse or

Lawful permanent resident (LPR)/ U.S. citizen parent. So you would not be the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Illinois on
Q: Laid off on H1B, found multiple offers in 60 day grace period.


I got laid off from employer A with last day being Nov 12.

I recently got an offer from a small consulting firm (Company B) that has filed my H1B transfer in regular processing and has asked me to join the client on 12/23. Today I got a full time offer from company C that MIGHT... Read more »

Drew Elesh
Drew Elesh answered on Dec 19, 2019

Company C can independently file for you for H1-B within the 60 days. That is not related to Company B.

It is certainly possible C is approved prior to B or that B is not approved .So you can have multiple petitions simultaneously .

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.