Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Kevin J. Kuhn
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas on
Q: If I purchase an apartment building, do I have to honor any existing lease agreement in effect or can Impose my own.

Im buying a property with tenants that still have several months left in the previous owners lease agreement. Can I void that agreement with my own, or do I have to honor all the parameters of the previous owners lease?

Kevin J. Kuhn
Kevin J. Kuhn answered on Dec 15, 2020

As the new owner, you will be required to honor the existing lease agreements. Review the existing lease agreements. They may contain language which will enable you to terminate them early. If they don't, then you will likely be required to honor them until the end of the lease term.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Oregon on
Q: I am currently on the lease as the non financially responsible occupant.

My roommate and I are currently having problems and now I would like to move out. If I give them a 30 day notice, pay the rest of the rent for the next month, and offer to pay half the lease break fee if they would prefer to break the lease, could they potentially still sue me?

Kevin J. Kuhn
Kevin J. Kuhn answered on Dec 15, 2020

Sorry to hear you're having roommate problems. I am not sure what you mean when you say you're on the lease as the non-financially responsible tenant. If you mean that you're listed only as someone who will be occupying the apartment and not as a "tenant," then you are not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Virginia on
Q: Can I file a claim against general mills for biting into a piece of metal in a gummies
Kevin J. Kuhn
Kevin J. Kuhn answered on Nov 17, 2020

Sorry to hear about your trouble with gummies. Your question is difficult to answer without additional information. First, were you injured as a result of the metal? Did you break a tooth, cut your mouth? If you did not injure yourself, you probably don't have any damages, and without... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Wisconsin on
Q: anything legally i can do if i had money i had deposited inherited money into a friend's account and they spent it all

my father gave me $14,000 so i could take care of things i needed to in my life. At this time of my life i couldn't open a bank account because of some decisions i decided to make in the past. So i had the money deposited into a so called "friend's" account that i thought i... Read more »

Kevin J. Kuhn
Kevin J. Kuhn answered on Nov 17, 2020

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is terrible when someone we believe to be a friend turns around and takes advantage of us. You have a right to sue this person, but you will have trouble proving your case if you don't have anything in writing. If this person was mean enough to take... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice for Georgia on
Q: Is this reason enough to sue for medical malpractice or medical negligence?

I was admitted to a hospital on Oct.15-Nov 2. During that time I had to have several blood draws in which I had blood drawn from the same place previously or and area of the vein that was close which has caused severe vein wall damage and the possibility of having to have a port surgically... Read more »

Kevin J. Kuhn
Kevin J. Kuhn answered on Nov 17, 2020

I am sorry to hear about your injuries. The answer to your question depends upon the applicable standard of care. If the hospital did not comply with the applicable standard of care, you may have a claim for negligence or medical malpractice. There are obviously many locations on the human body... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.