Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Clarissa Finnell
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Indiana on
Q: Hi. My son just turned 12. His father has never paid anything. Paternity was proven a year ago. How far bac

How far back does he owe ? How do I receive child support? Will the money affect my disability ? Lisa

Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell answered on Oct 25, 2017

Was child support ordered at time that Paternity was established? If so, then the court order should indicate the effective date of the child support. If child support has not been established yet, the court has discretion as to the effective date. In paternity cases, child support can be ordered... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana on
Q: My wife and I have 2 kids. She got an abortion with news of 3rd, blew 10k in savings also. How do I start the proces

My wife decided on her own to get an abortion with news of our 3rd child. We are a Christian family and i am totally against this and she knows it. I told her i don't support her decision. A lot of little things added up over the years and this one big things has absolutely pushed me over the... Read more »

Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell answered on Oct 23, 2017

I assume you are asking how to start the divorce process. My suggestion is schedule a consultation with a family law attorney located in your area. During a divorce consultation, you should learn the basic process for filing divorce as well as what steps you may take to finalize it.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Indiana on
Q: Is there any way I could send you a copy of my divorce papers so you can explain them to me.

He lives in Indiana and I live in Nevada. I think he's trying to pull a fast one on me.

Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell answered on Oct 23, 2017

If you do not fully understand the papers that were presented to you, then I recommend contacting a family law attorney to review them and explain them to you. If you do not necessarily want to retain an attorney to represent you throughout the entire process, it may still be worth your time to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Indiana on
Q: The divorce has been finalized for about 45 days. Neither party used an attorney.

My wife has told me that she plans to default on the mortgage, school loans, and credit card debt. Will (not can, but will) the debtors come after me?

Clarissa Finnell
Clarissa Finnell answered on Oct 19, 2017

What does your divorce decree say about payment of these debts? Is your Wife solely responsible for payment of the mortgage, student loans and credit card debt? If so, then you may have some remedies available to you through the Court that granted your divorce if she fails to pay. However, the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.