Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Ms. Renee Marcelle
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for California on
Q: My 12 yr old and I live in CA. Her father in AZ. There is a custody agreement from 5 yrs ago.

He can come here every other weekend to see her. He has only done that twice. She is supposed to go to AZ for vacations throughout the year. She doesn't want to go. Her father tells her she doesn't have to visit him if she doesn't want to. Should I be making her visit him due to custody agreement?

Ms. Renee Marcelle
Ms. Renee Marcelle answered on Jun 16, 2021

It is not the first time that you will hear that move-away cases are extremely difficult. Based upon the studies in child-parent separation cases, the prevailing view in California is to ensure continuous and frequent contact between the parents and their children. A girl's good relationship... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for California on
Q: Can I terminate my child’s father’s parental rights without having someone to adopt her (stepfather adoption)?

The biological father has been out of the picture since 2018 because he has been in and out of jail. He keeps getting deported and comes right back breaks the law gets convicted, serves his time and gets deported again. This has been his pattern since 2017 but he has been completely out of her life... Read more »

Ms. Renee Marcelle
Ms. Renee Marcelle answered on Jun 16, 2021

Mom, on the facts stated you have mentioned the 2 criteria for the termination of Parental rights. Lack of contact with the child and lack of any support.

A person willing to step into the shoes of bio dad is totally unnecessary.

The in and out of jail fact may mitigate against a...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.