Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Brandon C. Mayberry

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Illinois on

Q: Am I responsible for all of my ex husbands medical bills if he doesn't pay them or just half?

He agreed to pay them when we split the marital debt. He failed to pay them now the creditor wants to garnish my wages. My name is no where on the actual bill. I was automatically attached to them because the company said we were married at the time.

Brandon C. Mayberry answered on Jan 6, 2017

You can be held liable if you either co-signed for the debt or if the debt is considered a "family expense." Whether a debt is a family expense depends on whether the expense conduces to the welfare of the family. Medical debts for necessary medical care have been historically held to be family... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Illinois on

Q: Two names on title, getting divorced. Ex refuses to give car back for repossession.

My ex and I are getting divorced in Illinois, we bought a car together in 2014 in Virginia when I was in the military and now we are separated, I don't know her location which in a way is easier for my divorce. I have tried to find her but no one is willing to tell me where she or the car is. The... Read more »

Brandon C. Mayberry answered on Jan 6, 2017

If both names are on the title then you are both responsible for it. Even after its repossessed you may be responsible for the debt left. You should speak to an attorney. They may be able to subpoena the DMV to find the address that is registered to the VIN.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Illinois on

Q: if a parent files a police report for domestic violence will i go to jail if my boyfriend doesn't want to press charges?

Brandon C. Mayberry answered on Jan 6, 2017

Once filed it is usually up to the States Attorney to decide if they will proceed with any criminal charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on

Q: How too fight wrongful termination of parietal t rights

Brandon C. Mayberry answered on Nov 28, 2016

If your parental rights were terminated wrongfully i would recommend speaking with an attorney in your area and giving them the details of your case. There may very well be a Statute of Limitations running against you and you would need to get something filed within that time.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on

Q: what right does an unwed father have to his kids in illinois? And what rights does the mother have?

Brandon C. Mayberry answered on Nov 28, 2016

It depends if the father signed the birth certificate. If the father did not sign, he would have to file with the court to establish parentage and then once the father has been established through the courts he would have the same rights any other father has. At that point you would likely have to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Illinois on

Q: My ex hub has custody of our 2 children.he denies visitation. Is there chance I can get weekend overnight visits.

I live in Indiana and he lives in Illinois. I need help trying to find a lawyer in Illinois that will help me

Brandon C. Mayberry answered on Nov 28, 2016

It depends. There should be no reason that you could not have overnights with your children every other weekend or some type of similar arrangement but this type of thing is usually done on a case by case basis. Find a lawyer to speak with in the county the children are living it for a more... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.