Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Terri Herron
3 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: What methods does Georgia provide for enforcement of alimony and child support orders? What is the state statute?
Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Mar 7, 2020

If your ex spouse isn’t paying child support and alimony, we can file a contempt action and ask for an Income Deduction Order.

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Georgia on
Q: Is adultery still illegal in the year of 2020
Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Feb 28, 2020

Adultery is still illegal in the State of Georgia and can be prosecuted as a criminal offense although we rarely see it prosecuted. Please contact an Attorney about getting a Divorce. Adultery is also grounds for Divorce.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: my Son is 12 and doesn’t want to live with his father anymore but he gets drunk all the time how can I get custodial?

My ex has custodial and I have non custodial we have joint custody but my son says he doesn’t want to live over there any longer he is only 12 we live in ga and I don’t know what to do can i go back to court.

Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Feb 21, 2020

A modification of custody can be filed, but more facts are needed. You need to contact an Attorney.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Georgia on
Q: Can you add a non-disparagement clause to a child case?
Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Oct 21, 2019

Yes. You can add to a parenting plan that neither parent disparages the other before or to the child. This is common language in a parenting plan, but without the language this should not be happening.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: I have sole custody of my five year old son. My mom and stepdad are threatening to kick me out and keep my son. Can they

We live in a safe environment and he is well taken care of. They just want control of me also and do not even want me to leave the house. They also threaten to kick me out on a regular basis and threaten to take my son because they have money.

Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Oct 20, 2019

You have sole custody and not them. Unless you’re not telling us something, based on your facts you would retain custody. I would recommend you finding a stable environment where you don’t have to be threatened to be kicked out everyday. If there are facts that you’re leaving out the answer... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Divorce for Georgia on
Q: Our divorce says child support ends when child turns 18 or graduation high school My son is graduating high school soon

do I have to get a modification or can I just stop paying the amount since he is my only child

Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Aug 17, 2018

Once your child graduates high school or turns 18, whichever happens last, you can stop paying child support if there are no other children under the same child support order. Otherwise, you will need to file a modification if your Order did not account for the older child graduating (a step down... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: If my 3 children were born before I married their father, does the marriage legitimize him as the father?

Our divorce was finalized in 2011 and I have requested for an emergency change in custody due to his mental state and the kids being scared of him. Wondering if the custody agreement in place was even able to happen since I had them all before we got married. We were not even married 1 year... Read more »

Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Aug 16, 2018

If you married the Father subsequent to the children being born and the children are his biological children then yes. The children were legitimated by the subsequent marriage. If you are needing assistance modifying the visitation from the Divorce Decree, please don't hesitate to contact an... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for Georgia on
Q: My husband has inform me that he has been texting a lawyer to get advice should I be doing the same thing?
Terri Herron
Terri Herron answered on Mar 3, 2018

You definitely should retain Counsel if you are wanting to file for a Divorce or if you believe your Husband will file for a Divorce. Once the Divorce word is presented in a marriage, that is a red flag to begin preparing, because despite what your spouse is stating to you, he may be preparing and... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.