Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Jennifer L. Rench
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Missouri on
Q: My daughter's father says he will not let her move out of state with me to pursue my Master's degree. What can I do?

I am about to graduate with my bachelor's degree and have begun applying to graduate programs. My 10-year-old daughter's father says he will never let her move out of state with me, not even to pursue educational and career advancement. I think it would be a good opportunity for her to... Read more »

Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench answered on Jan 18, 2018

The answer is complicated and very fact driven. Missouri laws address the relocation of a child, but it discusses your obligations as the proposed moving parent in terms of giving notice to "any party with custody or visitation rights." Since your question referred to "unordered... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Support for Missouri on
Q: 1 month long marriage. Now she's fighting for child support

The child isn't mine and had it before we got married. I'm military. She is fighting for child support and neglect, even though they only lived with me for a month in texas before moving back home. I didn't adopt the child nor put my name on the birth certificate. Do I have an... Read more »

Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench answered on Jan 12, 2018

Only a legal father has an obligation to pay child support. Under the laws of Missouri, since the child was born prior to the marriage and you are not on the birth certificate (and I assume you have not been found to be the biological father of this child), you are not the presumed father or the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for Missouri on
Q: Can I sell my ex’s house in Missouri if it is in his name? We are divorced and both pay half the utilities and morgage.

No one lives in the house. We both work out of the Country

Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench answered on Jan 12, 2018

Your rights to the real estate and any obligations you may have to pay utilities and the mortgage should have been determined in your divorce Judgment. Generally, you cannot sell property that is not in your name. However, you may have been granted rights to have a say in the sale of the real... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Missouri on
Q: Preparing to Separate. Married 38 years. Primary breadwinner. Husband retired military, chooses not to work.

I don't want home. I don't want his retirement. I don't want to pay support or lose my retirement. How do I proceed?

Jennifer L. Rench
Jennifer L. Rench answered on Jan 12, 2018

This issues in a divorce and legal separation can be categorized into assets, debts, maintenance (or alimony) if it applies, and child support and custody if you have minor children. There is a good way to approach resolving these issues, and there are not so good ways. Litigation can be very... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.