Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Simon Stepanyan
2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: If I have a bank account with enough money in it to equate 3x the poverty level be enough for sponship of an immigrant.

How long does the money need to be in the account?

Does it have to be in my name only?

Is it possible to have enough assets without an actual income?

It would be much appreciated if someone could find something in writing.

Thank you for your answers :)

Simon Stepanyan
Simon Stepanyan answered on Apr 18, 2018

The answer depends on many specific details of your case.

You can find most of the information, with examples, on pages 9-10 of the instructions of USCIS Form I-864 available at


Note that this answer is based on the limited information...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: Can I get the green card?

Dear Sir/ Madam,

I would like to enquire about getting the green card.

My father became a permanent resident 2 months ago. He received an immigrant visa through employment-based. I was born before he got his green card, I'm 25 years old. I would like to ask can I use the... Read more »

Simon Stepanyan
Simon Stepanyan answered on Feb 13, 2018

Dear Andrea,

Unfortunately, you would not qualify for follow-to-join benefits because you were over 21 at the time he received his green card.

He can, however, file a green card petition for you. That is, if you are not married. The law does not allow green card holders to file...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: How old does a U.S. citizen child have to be to go to mexico and ask for citizenship of his/hers parent?
Simon Stepanyan
Simon Stepanyan answered on Feb 6, 2018

To petition for parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders, the child should be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old. The child would not have to go to Mexico to file the petition.

If the petition is approved, parents will apply for an immigrant visa...
Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.