Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by K. Aaron Heifner

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Indiana on

Q: Does support automatically stop when they turn 19? Or do you have to go to court?

Oldest turns 19 in 2 days. Lives at college in Texas. Youngest turns 18 in three weeks and is in last year of high school. Will the support stop for the 19 year old or do I have to go to court to stop it? And will they automatically reevaluate the support for the other one when the support stops... Read more »

K. Aaron Heifner answered on Dec 30, 2018

It will not automatically stop. You will need to file a petition to emancipate the child as of their 19th birthday. This shall be completed prior to the child's 19th birthday. A new child support worksheet will need to be completed to obtain the new support amount for the 17 year old. Therefore, I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Indiana on

Q: i am paying on child support regularly but still getting notice that my balance has increased. why is this happening??

i just got a letter that my balance went up 235.00 even though i have payments taken out regularly from my check. shouldn't it be going down??

K. Aaron Heifner answered on Dec 19, 2017

You should go to your county clerk and request an accounting of all the child support you have paid this year. The only way your child support could be increasing when you are making regular and timely payments is if you are paying less than the court ordered amount each month. Indiana child... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody for Indiana on

Q: Father has a lawyer to fight for custody of children never married will I lose my kids if I don't have a lawyer?

K. Aaron Heifner answered on Dec 19, 2017

A lawyer is not a requirement to argue your case for physical custody. However, it is likely a good family law attorney will be able to present a better case on your behalf to the court, than you will without a good attorney. In addition,there are attorneys that are willing to take payments for... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.