Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Jason D. Jones
1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Landlord - Tenant for New York on
Q: I want to buy a property for personal use, not for profit or rental, what kind of tax is involved if any in NY state LLC
Jason D. Jones
Jason D. Jones
answered on Jul 4, 2023

If you are only using the property for personal use then you would not put it in an LLC and you would only pay property tax.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for New York on
Q: My husband and I just got a copy of our house deed. We live in Buffalo New York area. Our deed states “tenants in common

With rights of survivorship.” We we’re not married when we bought the house but have since married. Should we change the deed to “husband and wife joint tenants with right of survivorship “ to avoid probate in the future. If one of us dies and the other wants to sell the house Or leave the... View More

Jason D. Jones
Jason D. Jones
answered on Nov 4, 2022

You must transfer the deed from tenants in common to joint tenants with rights of survivorship or tenants by the entirety to avoid probate. Feel free to contact me with me if you have further questions.

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for New York on
Q: My mother (90) owns her home in Huntington. She would like to add her 2 daughters to the title. What is the process?

Can we do this by completing a form or do we need to get a lawyer? Can we file electronically? I live in Maryland, but her house is in New York. Thank you.

Jason D. Jones
Jason D. Jones
answered on Sep 22, 2021

You must execute and record a new deed which is complicated if you’re not an attorney. For a free consultation contact me at 908.671.1661

Good luck,

Jason Jones

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.