Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by S. Douglas Elliott
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma on
Q: it's been over a year since my husband filed for divorce I was wondering if the divorce papers expire

Nothing has happened in our case since December 13th of last year and all we did was make our first appearance we are legally still married I just need to know if the papers expire or what it's been over a year with nothing done

S. Douglas Elliott
S. Douglas Elliott
answered on Nov 26, 2019

The case hangs on until the parties or the court take an action to dismiss the case. Some courts clean up their dockets regularly, others not at all.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Domestic Violence for Oklahoma on
Q: What kind of questions will DHS in Oklahoma ask when they make a visit to a house. It's a first offense?

Cops got called to a domestic fight and found out that a small child lived in the home. Th cops arrested the dad and told the mom that they had to get DHS involved.

S. Douglas Elliott
S. Douglas Elliott
answered on Nov 23, 2019

You could be looking at the possibility of DHS filing a deprived petition and your children being placed in DHS custody. You better go at least talk to a lawyer that handles these types of cases to discuss the details.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Oklahoma on
Q: How do I file objection and request for hearing to a temporary injunction in regards to minor child custody and support?
S. Douglas Elliott
S. Douglas Elliott
answered on Nov 17, 2019

If it’s just in the initial stages you have to file an answer to the petition. If you’ve been paying a while you have to file a motion to modify.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If my mom signed her rights away of me to my father. Would that put in place a no contact order between me and my mom?
S. Douglas Elliott
S. Douglas Elliott
answered on Nov 14, 2019

She can't sign her rights away as their is no right or private termination. If there was then deadbeat parents would just sign their rights away and never pay child support.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on
Q: My mother passed 10 months ago with no will. Her name is the only name on the title. My father still lives in the house

and pays the mortgage. I am his and my mothers only child and my mother had 2 children before they married, we want dad to have the house so he can do what he wants with it. What do we need to do? Quick claim deed? Probate?

S. Douglas Elliott
S. Douglas Elliott
answered on Nov 11, 2019

A summary probate is most likely your best bet. It isn't that expensive. I haven't done one in a while but they aren't that difficult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.