Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Kimberly A. Van Wormer
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York on
Q: Is it legal for a judge to continue a custody appearance if I wasn't assigned a lawyer yet?

There was a delay on me getting a lawyer assigned until the day of my appearance. The respondent had his lawyer. I stated that I need a lawyer right at the start but the judge let the other side talk bad about me for awhile and go on with the appearance.

Kimberly A. Van Wormer
Kimberly A. Van Wormer answered on Oct 12, 2021

Yes, it is legal. Hopefully, once you gain an attorney, he or she can address any prior misunderstandings that occurred at past court appearances when you were not represented by an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for New York on
Q: I’ve been on probation for over a year and I have not reported to probation in over a year

In the process I have another charge which was possession of marijuana I would like to turn myself in but I don’t know what the ramifications will be while I have been working and keep myself busy and out of trouble any suggestions I would like to put this behind me so that I can move on and be... Read more »

Kimberly A. Van Wormer
Kimberly A. Van Wormer answered on Oct 12, 2021

If you are on probation, have not been to probation in over a year, and have a new charge, it is highly recommended that you hire an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New York on
Q: What can I do if my neighbor keeps threatening us by killing or shooting us? He harasses us all the time.

We've owned our property for 37 years and he wants us to leave so he can put an Airbnb on our property. Someone needs to help us.

Kimberly A. Van Wormer
Kimberly A. Van Wormer answered on Oct 4, 2021

You can call the police and make a complaint.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for New York on
Q: What can be done if a family court judge fails to issue a decision, in a reasonable time, after a custody trial ends?

In this case the closing arguments were submitted in writing more than 14 months ago. This is a Suffolk County custody case. The parents were never married.

Kimberly A. Van Wormer
Kimberly A. Van Wormer answered on Oct 4, 2021

That time frame seems excessive (although it could be related to COVID). Did you contact the court and ask for an update?

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.