Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Jeffrey Wood
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for California on
Q: Can I date my gf after I turn 18?

I'm 17 and gonna be 18 in December. Me and my gf started dating in September. She's currently 17 and gonna be 18 in July. We are in a long distance relationship so no sexual physical activity will be happening. Would it be okay for us to continue our relationship after I turn 18?

Jeffrey  Wood
Jeffrey Wood
answered on Dec 10, 2021

There is no prohibition to continuing in a non-sexual relationship with your girlfriend. However, if you intend to engage in a sexual relationship, that may be an issue. California Penal Code section 261.5 says it is a crime to have sex if one party is over 18, while the other is 17 or under.... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.