Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Kelley Anne Joseph
3 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Can the courts force me to visit my child? I pay support fully and on time, but I absolutely refuse to visit.

At this point I’m considering a restraining order against my ex, we agreed that I didn’t have to visit as long as I paid support. But she started trying to force me to visit, she shows up at my house with the kid occasionally. Last time I called the police and they made her leave but she’s... Read more »

Kelley Anne Joseph
Kelley Anne Joseph answered on Apr 25, 2020

While I practice in Florida, not Mass., in most states, courts cannot “force” a parent, against his or her will, to spend time with a child, but many can sanction a parent for their refusal, in some way, as forcing you seems contrary to the child’s best interest. Further, the court can... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.