Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by C. Randolph Coleman
3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Florida on
Q: Can a homemade Florida Will be notarized by a notary instead of witnessed by two witnesses?
C. Randolph Coleman
C. Randolph Coleman answered on Jun 18, 2020

A Florida will must be witnessed by two witnesses, or it is not a valid will in Florida. To admit a will to probate, the probate court must determine that it is a valid will.

Upon the filing of a petition for probate, the will must contain a "self-proof" affidavit or a...
Read more »

View More Answers

5 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida on
Q: My aunt just passed away recently. In her Will she's left me her condominium, her vehicle, life insurance policy,..

.. And bank accounts. I've lived with her for almost 6 years. I just received her urn and death certificates. My first question is: When I received the death certificates, there was no cause of death listed. (She passed away from lymphoma) Is that normal in the state of Florida not to list... Read more »

C. Randolph Coleman
C. Randolph Coleman answered on Mar 6, 2020

I agree with Mr. Duong. You need to consult with an experienced probate attorney. You will need to probate your aunt’s estate and you will need a probate lawyer to accomplish that result.

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Probate for Florida on
Q: 2 sisters inherit a house from their father, it goes through probate court and both sisters names are on the deed.

1 sister dies, is the deceased sister family entitled to her half in the house in the state of Florida. There is no will from the deceased sister

C. Randolph Coleman
C. Randolph Coleman answered on Oct 6, 2019

If the deed provides that the sisters own the house as "joint tenants with right of survivorship" or "JTWROS", then the deceased sister's share automatically, by operation of law, transferred to the surviving sister at the death of the deceased sister. Otherwise, the... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Probate for Florida on
Q: Do i have to pay off my sibling's final judgement before I can sell the condo she transferred after her death?

My sister had cancer and prior to her death, she and I filed a Ladybird Deed in Florida for her condo that she owned. I am in the process of selling the condo but the title company found a final judgement against my sister from 2015. It is a small claims amount from a credit card company for less... Read more »

C. Randolph Coleman
C. Randolph Coleman answered on Jun 13, 2019

If the condo was your sister's homestead from 2015 until her death, then no lien attaches to it other than a mortgage lien, a tax lien, or a mechanic's lien. So, if the property was her homestead, the judgment lien did not attach to the homestead property.

Here's the...
Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Probate for Florida on
Q: Can a home of a deceased without a will be sold without probate?

Would the home need to go through probate before selling? Florida Statute 731-1055

C. Randolph Coleman
C. Randolph Coleman answered on Feb 14, 2019

If the home was titled in the name of the decedent, ownership of the property may have passed to the decedent's surviving spouse, or to his heirs at law, depending on whether the home was his homestead, i.e., his primary residence at the time of his death. The Florida Constitution has a number... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Probate and Wrongful Death for Florida on
Q: Inquiring if there is any leagal action to dispute next of kin as a blood daughter vs spouse .

Wanting to file malpractice lawsuit for her death and was told her husband would be the only one able to do so even tho he’s nothing to her 3 kids and was also the enabler for her problem why would he deserve this over us ?

C. Randolph Coleman
C. Randolph Coleman answered on Jan 31, 2019

Under Florida law, the proper party to file a wrongful death action is the personal representative (executor) of the deceased person's probate estate. If the deceased person had a last will and testament, then she would have identified the person who is to serve in the capacity of personal... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.