Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Samira Amato
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for California on
Q: Can you be legally served in court by the plaintiff when you are before the judge on a separate case you petitioned?

I Petitioned for custody/ visitation. At the hearing the commissioner continued the case. Before she adjourned i requested a stay on a DCSS case i just discovered with no service attempt. Judge didnt rule on it but ordered the caseworker in court to serve me. How is this ok?

Samira Amato
Samira Amato
answered on Apr 6, 2020

Yes, you can be served in Court. So long as you are served by someone who is 18 years of age and over and not a party to the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.