Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Kenneth R. Harris Jr.
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for North Carolina on
Q: My 16 yr old in NC left home over a month ago and now wants to obtain her personal belongings, do I have to give it back
Kenneth R. Harris Jr.
Kenneth R. Harris Jr.
answered on Oct 25, 2021

If your child is 16 and not emancipated, she is considered a "minor". Therefore, she does not actually "own" (legally) any of the items in your possession. On the other hand, if she wishes to return to your home, she can (and should, under the law) be allowed to do so - she is... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.