Asked in Immigration Law and Adoption for Maryland

Q: Options for bringing Adopted Child to US :Myself and my husband are currently on EAD (employment based) status. We have

Myself and my husband are currently on EAD (employment based) status. We have adopted a child (baby girl 4 year old) in India in March this year. My husband is staying in India with her and i travel back and forth every other month. Upon completion of 6 months the legal formalities in India will be completed and we will get the court order and birth certificate in our names. Wanted to know our options to bring the Child to US.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: We need to know what kind of visa you are on. EAD just means you have a work permit to work legally in the United States, it does not say anything about the type of visa you have. If you are on legal visa you will be able to bring the child here as a dependant and to guide you properly I need know the type of visa you and your husband are on. All the best and congratulations on the adoption.

"15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.