Asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: If my ex filed for a divorce in California can she file another divorce in Texas if the case in California is active?

Also can parental abduction be charged against her if she filed the divorce and ive had them the last 6 years she came to visit. Left state and now has left again and won't let mW talk to them? Also I filed a police report when she left.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gina Marie Famularo
Gina Marie Famularo
  • Corona, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am not sure I am understanding your question. However, if you have had custody of the children and they have lived in the state of California for six months or more, the children are residents of California. If you wife took the children to Texas and won't return them, you need to retain an attorney and file for an emergency child custody hearing in California. If you do not have the money for an attorney, you can either hire a paralegal or go to the courthouse and obtain help filling out the papers for free. Do not delay. Act immediately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.