Asked in Education Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Virginia

Q: I want to move in with my boyfriend when I am 18. Can my guardian stop me if I am 18 and still attending school?

She said she was going to take me to court if I live somewhere she doesn't want me to live.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Godman
Gary D. Godman
  • Stafford, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: At 18, you are an adult in Virginia. The parents could file a petition for guardianship over you if you are mentally or physically unable to manage your own affairs - however, the mere fact you are moving and they don't like it is not a sufficient basis. If they do attempt this, you will be advised of the hearing and will likely be appointed an attorney. Seems unlikely to happen, but reach out to a family law or guardianship attorney if it happens. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.