Bridgeport, CT asked in Civil Rights, Internet Law and Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: I am a professional female living in CT. my ex's current female friend stole a 5 yr old explicit video from his phone

she sent the video to me from his phone with the phrase "don't play with me" I am now fearful that she might post this explicit video online. I contacted my ex and he had no knowledge of the video being taken from his phone and swore he would never post or share it per our agreement when i agreed to give it to him, and all this time the video has remained unseen until this female took possession of it from his phone without his consent.

I would like to know what course of action I can take to be proactive in keeping this situation from escalation. I would like to prevent the situation from becoming a case for court if there is something I can do now.

1 Lawyer Answer
Sally A. Roberts
Sally A. Roberts
  • Civil Rights Lawyer
  • Hartford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: If it does become a court case, perhaps it would fall under Invasion of Privacy. You might let her know that there would be legal consequences to her if she were to post this video and that you would have no hesitation in taking legal action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.