Northfield, OH asked in Elder Law, Libel & Slander, Personal Injury and Wrongful Death for Ohio

Q: I am on Ohio Mediciad. I am being forced out of the nursing home by the Area on Aging to a group home. Can they do this?

Oct 2015, I fell attached to my power-chair onto the street because the city had not officially closed the sidewalk and I was trying to get to my apartment where I have lived independently for 20 years. I am severely disabled but have worked to be independent. I became unconscious with a head injury, broke my thumb and damaged my wheelchair. After being in the hospital, I was sent to my present nursing home and lost my independence. All of my worldly belongings were thrown out and had to give up my precious cat. This took a toll on my recovery and sanity. I have adjusted to the NH but now, am being forced out now that I am "well". I can't go back to my apartment because I got injured. I do not want to leave. Can they force me out?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You have two issues. One is a claim against the city or the owner of the property.You need to contact a member of the Ohio Assn for Justice in your area --they give free consultations. You can explain your injuries. You then can ask about this issue but I don't see that they can do much in that regard because Medicaid regulations say if you don't need skilled nursing around the clock you go to another level of facility. You may want to look at public housing if that's an option.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.