Shreveport, LA asked in Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: I was awarded spousal support for life in 2004 in CA. I have not received anything since 2011. Can I file a contempt?

We were married almost 30 yrs and have 4 adult daughters. I live in Louisiana now and cannot afford to go to CA to research what to do. I now live on my $751. social security and at 66 I really could use the money just for the basics in life. My ex was supposed to pay $2500. a mo. but never paid me more than $1500. mo. I need the advice of a CA. attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rivka Israel
Rivka Israel
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The simple answer is yes. You most certainly could file for contempt however, that would not get you your money. You can enforce a spousal support order against your spouse and by means of legal enforcement tools and in California support arrears accrue 10% simple annual interest, by law. You would, most likely, need to hire an attorney to assist you since you do not reside in California and, therefore, can't do it yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.