Warren, MI asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: What can I as a tenant do regarding my landlord's 2 years of delinquent property taxes?

We received an orange paper stating the house was foreclosed, but could be redeemed by paying the delinquent taxes by March 31, 2017. The total tax bill is $3,113.87 for the years of 2015 and 2016. We (my wife, daughter and I) are still living in the house.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Understand YOU are not responsible for the back taxes. You ARE responsible to the landlord for rent, but there MAY be options you can take.

I would strongly urge you to consult with a landlord/tenant lawyer and consider the possibility of setting up an escrow account for future rent while your landlord gets his act together. Don't just 'withhold' rent though! You need to do this right in order for the Court (if it ever gets involved) to not hold you responsible. This is an area of law fraught with danger -- don't try to 'do it yourself'! Seek a local lawyer to help you!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.