Louisa, VA asked in Divorce, Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Virginia

Q: My 16yr old daughter wants to change her last name to her step father's name. Her father refuses to let her.

When she was 13 she started refusing to see him because she didn't like how he treated her. He never tried to see her or fix the relationship. He's in Maine we moved to VA almost 3yrs ago. He came to VA last yr for a week saw her for 2 hrs then refused to come see her again it broke her heart. To her my husband is her dad she wants his last name, real dad refuses to sign papers what can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Steve Miyares
Steve Miyares
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: Once your daughter turns 18 she is legally competent to change her name and will not need any parental approval to do so. Once she reaches her 18th birthday then she can retain an attorney to have her name legally changed regardless of what her biological father says.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.