Havre De Grace, MD asked in Employment Discrimination, Employment Law and Civil Rights for Maryland

Q: Is it possible to sue an employer in Maryland?

I was approached by a recruiter of a technology company in Maryland and was offered a position that would require me to relocate my family. I received an offer letter and sent it in, officially locking in my position with the organization. When I was asked about criminal history, I disclosed that my identity was stolen while I served in the military and their were some misdemeanor offenses on my record because of it. After 3 weeks, I received a start date from Human Resources, indicating everything was good to go and I moved my family to Maryland. After being on the job for 2 weeks, I was called into the VP's office and was asked about my record. In full disclosure, I told them about the situation and furnished a letter from my lawyer, affirming the information I shared with my employer. Despite my legal counsel affirming everything, I was dismissed. I wasn't given a real reason why I was dismissed or any documents around my dismissal. Help..Any insight or perspective is appreciated.

1 Lawyer Answer
June Marie Marshall
June Marie Marshall
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Silver Spring , MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Generally, employment is "at will" in the state of Maryland, i.e., at the will of the employer or at the will of the employee. You may have a breach of contract if you can show that you and the employer made a contract for employment and the employer breached that contract by dismissing you. You would have to have evidence that there was a contract (oral or written agreement between the parties), there was consideration (money or promises exchanged), and the employer breached the contract and of course harm (cost of moving?). In an employer/employee relationship, it is hard to show that a contract for employment was made. You or a lawyer would have to look at the evidence you have to determine if you have enough (witnesses, documentation, etc.) to file in court. You also have to decide whether pursuing the matter is worth it to you.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.