Southfield, MI asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: I have lived with my son's father for 24 years. Yesterday he served me with an eviction notice.

He has met someone else. Our home is in his name. We are from Michigan.

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Howell, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation, but if the home is in his name alone and you have no claim to the equity in it, he probably CAN evict you. You should consult with a local divorce/domestic law attorney to see if there may be more you could do, but this goes WELL beyond something that can be handled in a Q&A forum. Seek local legal representation!

--This answer is provided for general information only and does not create an attorney/client relationship. Please seek local legal representation if you have further questions. I am licensed to practice in Michigan only.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.