Q: My neighbor has verbally threatened to make false child abuse allegations because I made a complaint abt her dog.

We rent a condo in NYC (since July 2016). The landlord is amazing and we have had no problems whatsoever….until new tenants moved upstairs (both condos are owned by my landlord). Long story short they have a dog that barks uncontrollably when left alone. These tenants work all day so this barking goes on all day. Starts around 8-9am and goes until 3-4pm….briefs pauses ….This started in Feb 2017 finally in May 2017 I called 311 as pleads to the tenants by both the landlord and myself have resulted in nothing but hostility and retaliation with more noise.

The tenants received the DEP letter of complaint and now have threatened to start calling 911 and child services on us. This tenant stood in my door way last night yelling, screaming (calling me a racist and stupid) and clearly said “how about now I start calling in complaints about you to the police and child services).

My children are teenagers, and certainly not abused. We have nothing to hide.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in New York

A: You can report the noise to the police and the landlord. If they defame you, you can sue for that. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AEesq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.