Clinton Township, MI asked in Construction Law, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan

Q: In detroit if ur house is not registered as a rental propery do u still have to pay rent

1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Fowlerville, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: If there is no 'certificate of compliance' for the property the tenant's obligation to pay rent can be "suspended" under the Detroit ordinance, but expect that if you do that there will be eviction proceedings and the City may well force you to move out.

Consult with a local landlord tenant lawyer and understand what your options are. If you are concerned about your health or safety, it is almost always better to simply leave than to play games with withholding rent. If it is some minor maintenance issue, you should weigh your options carefully as doing the wrong thing can get you evicted with no place to live.

See generally, but if you don't understand how to read an ordinance carefully (it is NOT something that is obvious, honest!) please seek local help!

-- This answer is offered for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney/client relationship.

I am licensed to practice in Michigan only. Please seek competent local legal help if you feel you need legal advice

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.