Miami, FL asked in Immigration Law, Child Custody, Child Support and International Law for Florida

Q: My husbands daughter is a us permanent resident who was sent to Dominican Republic for the holidays and never returned.

Mother and father are both in a legal process in Dominican Republic where we're requesting full custody of the child. Her mother signed an agreement before granting custody to the father for the 5 year old to reside in the US and now refuses to return the child. We're aware that after a year out the US you are exposed to losing your residency. What can we do to avoid this?? We agreed that her status will not be jeopardized and our plans were never to have her out of country for this long. Please help!!!!

1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery
Kevin D. Slattery
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You should schedule a consultation with a competent immigration attorney, and possibly also with a family law attorney. Also, is your husband a U.S. Citizen, naturalized or by birth? If so, then your step-child may, but not necessarily, have a claim to U.S. Citizenship, in which case "abandonment" of lawful permanent residence would be a non-issue. Again, you should schedule a consultation with a competent immigration attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.