Medfield, MA asked in Civil Rights, Estate Planning, Family Law and Elder Law for Rhode Island

Q: A friend of mine would like to change her guardian, who just sold her house and car without asking her. Can she change?

My friend feels financially exploited by her daughter, who is also her legal guardian. This daughter sold my friend's house and car without asking her permission or discussing it with her in any way. She also had her committed to a mental health hospital, but the hospital released her after a few days because they found nothing psychologically wrong with her. The daughter also moved her from Weston where she has lived most of her life to an assisted living nursing home in Rhode Island, where the daughter lives. The daughter has taken all her credit cards and check books, and she will not allow her friends to take her out of the facility. For example, she refused to give me and my mother our friend's phone number in the nursing home so that we would not be able to get in touch with her and she could sell the house without any intervention. We found it through the Greek Orthodox Church. We have known the family for fifty years, and the mother and daughter baptized my son.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Your friend would do well to meet with an attorney practicing probate and guardian law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.