Decatur, IL asked in Child Custody, Criminal Law, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: How to press charges on a step parent who took a child without permission. My lawyer doesn't know how to

This has been an going case for 3 years. My ex and I have a child together and I have another child who is not his and he has not adopted nor is he on the birth certificate.

1 Lawyer Answer
Brian W. Reidy
Brian W. Reidy
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Orland Park, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: "Pressing charges" usually refers to a criminal matter and that decision belongs to your County State's Attorney. Hard to tell what happened with the facts presented, but you may need to call the police if an unauthorized person took your child. If you have an attorney, please make sure that you are on the same page with him/her. If you are not satisfied, you can seek a second opinion of the case with a local attorney. Best of luck to you.

James G. Ahlberg and Juan Ooink agree with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.