Q: Can “Tortious interference” be grounds for a federal court filing where the damages are in excess of $100,000 2 states

Interfering party withdrew money a prior court ruled was to be divided evenly. They did so despite being requested both in writing and by civil court order.

The act has the effect of denying the other person of a substantial amount of money at retirement.

________________________________________Follow Up _______________________________

My understanding of “Tortious interference” is that it can be applied when one party has reason to believe they can NOT obtain an impartial result in the other party's State.

I can prove bias based upon public connections and interaction(s) between current judicial officers and the other party(s). AS well as failure on the courts part to treat each party equally.

The case is civil, and has elements of discrimination against a DISABLED Veteran.

Each person lives in a different State for over 10 years. California and Ala

2 Lawyer Answers
William John Light
William John Light
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Sounds like you could go back to the court that issued the order and move for contempt, restraining order, etc. However, if the amount in controversy exceeds $75k, and both parties are residents of different states, you have diversity jurisdiction. I'm not sure what a federal judge would do about trying to enforce some other court's division of property order.

1 user found this answer helpful

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: To properly evaluate any legal question a lawyer needs a thorough summary of the facts. What you have shared is not much. If you are not clear then the lawyer will no doubt be challenged to give an accurate answer.

It is the same as using the adage for using a computer... “JUNK IN, JUNK OUT”.


you should go back to the court that issued the order and ask the judge to enforce it.

if litigation has people from 2 states they can file in fed court under diversity of jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.