Burlington, NC asked in Family Law, Education Law and Criminal Law for North Carolina

Q: There is people at my school that are spying on me and telling another person what im doing. please help.

my sister told people at my school my dads number and told them to tell him what ti do during the day and stuff. The thing is my dad has no custody over me and i don't live in the same state as him. i want him out of my life. is there something i can do to involving the people spying on me, like is that illegal or anything please. all help is needed. also they are distracting me in my school work.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: As long as they are not violating any laws, it is perfectly legal for anyone to observe your public actions and report that to another person - there is nothing legal you can do to prevent it except stay in an enclosed private place 100% of the time. More likely than not, if this is something your father is having done, then he probably needs proof of certain behaviors he believes you are doing for some sort of legal action. As to getting him out of your life, you likely can't do anything about that until you are 18.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.