East Providence, RI asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Contracts and Child Support for Rhode Island

Q: We are currently unable to pay the full amount of rent. However, the house is poorly maintained. What can be done?

We only have one source of income (being approximately $600 a month) currently and are behind by two months rent. However, we have lived at this house for close to 8 years and have had many problems. From the kitchen, the paint on the ceiling is peeling off, the oven does not work, and the faucet has been broken since we first moved here. In almost every room, there are cracks along the walls that have occurred naturally and not by any forceful events. From the stairs, the ceiling above has clear water damage that occurred over the time we have been here. In the basement, there are items that belong to the landlord that have not been thrown out or removed. In December, the furnace needed to be replaced as it had stopped working. The old furnace remains on top of our washer/dryer (we have been unable to wash/dry our clothes at home and have been forced to take it to a laundry facility). There is mold all around, and a pipe is spitting out water (located below electrical circuit).

1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: It may be time to look for: 1) a new, different, and better maintained residence/apartment and/ or 2) a second source of income and/or 3) an attorney to help you defend against a likely eviction case should your landlord decide to take you to court. Contact your local CAP agency for help with #1 https://publicportal.courts.ri.gov/PublicPortal/

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.