Brooklyn, NY asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New York

Q: I was forced to resign from my former place of employment due to health reasons I applied for and was denied

Unemployment benefits at my hearing I was accused of walking off / abandoning my position due I have a case

1 Lawyer Answer
V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tarrytown, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Appeal the decision timely. If you do not promptly immediately do so you will probably waive your right to do so.

Bring copies of every single medical record and notice to your employer of your medical condition to the hearing. You have to introduce and move all medical records into evidence at hearing.

If you notified your employer, have medical documentation, apply and testify honestly you should be ok. If you were warned, then did something that rises to gross misconduct, that will require some honest explanation to the judge. The judge will know whether you are testifying truthfully.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.