Duvall, WA asked in Banking, Federal Crimes, Immigration Law and International Law for Washington

Q: I just learned that I inadvertently committed a federal financial crime. Should I write a letter of explanation to IRS?

I'm from Canada and a US permanent resident ( through marriage) since 2011. I made several money transfers from Canada of less than $10,000 not knowing that this was a federal crime to do so. No one at my bank ever notified me of the potential problem. I am seeking a divorce and my US citizen husband brought it to my attention and is threatening to get me sent to prison for it!! Should I take proactive measures by sending in a declaration that it was uncalculated. I brought smaller amounts rather than a lump sum as I wanted to leave myself a safety net, and had just been through months of immigration paperwork and didn't want to do more. I knew that cash totaling less than $10,000 could be brought across the border without paperwork, even though it seems shady, so I thought bank transactions with an obvious paper trail offered intention of transparency. https://www.fincen.gov/resources/statutes-regulations/administrative-rulings/suspicious-activity-reporting-structuring. Thank you!

1 Lawyer Answer
Hector E. Quiroga
Hector E. Quiroga
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You need to speak with an attorney familiar with federal law around international financial transactions.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.