Folsom, CA asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for California

Q: What steps do I take to start divorce proceedings with my estranged husband who left California and started over already

Im also trying to find out information about family law child custody and support. He hasn't paid a dime or even called on her bday she just don't exist and he just left us with literally nothing. I am begging u for some direction to get my life back plz. I just don't know what im doing. TIA

1 Lawyer Answer
Vernon Charles Tucker
Vernon Charles Tucker
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Simi Valley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Ms. Webster,

You would first need to start off by filing a petition for dissolution of the marriage to dissolve the marriage. When filing the petition you can address the custody issue and the child support as well. The Department of Child Support Services (DCSS) can be useful in assisting to get your child support payments started, but you first need to get a custody order which DCSS can help you with too. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Vernon C. Tucker

(P) 805.259.9951

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.