Matthews, NC asked in Criminal Law and Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: Can an estranged adult child be charged with a crime for taking money from a non legally defined disabled parent.

Estranged daughter plays on sympathy of early dementia patient (mother). Other sibling is paying bills...finds out after the fact the check was written Raleigh NC not Mathews NC

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kelli Y. Allen
Kelli Y. Allen
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Probably not an actual crime. However, protections need to be put in place. Is there a durable power of attorney? An agent under a durable power of attorney would be able to offer some protection in this type of situation. This needs to be done before the dementia progresses.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.