Q: When I was an adolescent my mother did therapy with me in our living room. Is it possible to sue for this?

My mother changed careers when I was a pre-teen, and she was a fairly inexperienced counselor. I came to her with normal teen problems, i.e. concerns about not fitting in in high school and she offered to do counseling with me in our house. I didn't know better so I accepted. In hindsight, this relationship caused me a lot of problems with other relationships in my life (especially intimate ones). I am now in my mid-30s and still have many relationship problems as a result. I would like closure and to be able to move on in my life. I am wondering if legal action would be an appropriate option. I mainly just want justice and acknowledgment that what she did was wrong, and to have her counseling license revoked. She still doesn't get it to this day. If I asked her to do counseling with me today, I feel very confident that she would still agree to it, even after all the pain I told her it caused me. I feel like legal action may be the only option left for clarity. Is this a possibility?

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You not only want to blame talks you had with your mommy as a pre-teen for the problems you have as a 30 year old adult but want to sue her for it as well? There is no circumstance I can think of where legal action for something like that should have even crossed your mind let alone be something that is 'appropriate'. You say she doesn't get it - neither do I but sadly in today's world of ultra soft sensitive people, I suppose it may be possible. If this is something you feel strongly about, you should consult with local attorneys who can review your situation in more detail and lay out potential options for you but based on what you have presented here, I'd say you are better off to let bygones be bygones and fix your adult problems yourself. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.