Inglewood, CA asked in Civil Rights, Employment Law and Sexual Harassment for California

Q: False sexual harrasment accusation & Human Resources trying to fire me ? For a irrelevant case ?

A girl went to Human Resources and told them that I left my students alone. (It was for less than a minute ) I was multitasking and my door was open. I was less than 10 feet away. Of course, HR may want to potentionally fire me for this. But my manager already gave me a warning for it. So why am I going to get punished TWICE ?? ? I told HR she put her hands on a student. They said “ the manager already dealt with it “ whats the difference between her and I ? Also , this same girl brought up false sexual harrasment accusations. I’m a fem lesbian. I told her I wasn’t interested , etc. she is trying to ruin my name. I’m on administrative leave during investigation. They were text. One guy from HR already said it wasn’t sexual harrasment. Can she get in trouble for everything I’m being put through cause of her. My mental health has been so down. I’ve been nauseous. It’s been triggering my actual memory of surviving sexual abuse at a young age.

1 Lawyer Answer
Neil Pedersen
Neil Pedersen
  • Westminster, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am sorry this is happening to you. Far more would need to be known about your situation before you could get reliable advice upon which you can govern your actions. Generally, in California you are considered to be an at will employee and your employer is allowed to discipline or terminate you at any time and for any reason or even for no reason at all. The employer is allowed to rely upon any information it receives to make such a decision, whether or not it is reliable. The same is true about claims of sexual harassment. The employer has no obligation to determine if the complaint about you is truthful or not. You can be disciplined or terminated simply for having a complaint made against you.

Whether or not this other person can get into trouble depends on what the employer wants to do. The employer can discipline or terminate her at any time and for any reason if the employer wishes.

If you face disabling conditions arising out of workplace issues, you should consider seeking a confidential consultation with a workers compensation attorney. If you believe you have been sexually harassed, you should report it to the employer, and if the harassment continues, or you face retaliation for reporting it, it would be wise to locate and consult with an employment law attorney.

Good luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.