Cambridge, MD asked in Legal Malpractice, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Maryland

Q: If I’m born in January 26, 2000 date a girl born in December 13, 2003 without legal issues? It’s 3yrs,10months,18days

2 Lawyer Answers

A: In most states adult men over the age of 18 (like you are) can be charged with various criminal violations if caught having sexual relations with an under-aged girl (like your girlfriend is). The difference in their ages is not relevant.

1 user found this answer helpful

Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If you are less than 4 years apart in age, as you are, there is no crime committed, unless one of the following is true: you are a resident in the same household as the younger partner; you are a teacher where the younger partner attends classes; you are in a position of authority or supervisory capacity over the younger partner (employer, counselor, advisor, mentor, coach, babysitter, etc.). That does not mean sexual relations is a good idea, but it is not a criminal act if both parties fully consent (no coercion of any kind).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.