Carthage, NC asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Family Law and Real Estate Law for North Carolina

Q: I'm 18 in NC. My parents kicked me out without notice. Aren't they supposed to have a written notice in advance?

Long story. I pay some Bill's and am working almost full time.

2 Lawyer Answers

A: Sorry, but no. The law does not require parents to give any notice to their adult children before they kick them out of the nest. You might understand why someday--when you have adult children.

Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Actually, it would depend on what bills you were paying (i.e., part of the rent/mortgage, utilities, etc.). If you agreed to pay some bills in exchange for being able to live there after you turned 18, then technically you are a tenant, and they must give you advanced written notice or evict you.

Practically speaking, however, if you are already gone and have another place to stay, its probably not worth making a big deal over it, since eventually, they could get you removed anyway.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.