Rosedale, NY asked in Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for New York

Q: Employment lawyer

I work a company in NYC for the past 15 years , requesting all my employment paper work via certified mail 3 times at the time of hire more than 6 months ago , my employer ignored all communications. Did I’m entitle to get a copy or get a response from my employer. I would like to know my rights.

1 Lawyer Answer
V. Jonas Urba
V. Jonas Urba
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Tarrytown, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: If you work for the government you are entitled to request copies of your personnel file.

If you work for a private employer which is subject to New York's Labor Laws there is no right for any employee to obtain copies of their personnel file unless the employer has negotiated same in her or his private, signed employment contract or unless the employee belongs to a union and that employee's union has negotiated such a right for all union members by collective bargaining agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.