Matthews, NC asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: I think my husband is trying to get me for abandonment and child custody. What should I do?

Husband is in family home after work with children until I come home after work and a beer at my apartment. He made it impossible for me to stay there. I got apartment to get away from him yelling at me and all the arguing. I always sleep at home with my husband and children. My husband is starting to bring my personal items to my apartment. He's turning the children against me. Can I have an apartment w/some of my things. What should I do? I also want custody of my children. Retained an attorney he said it was fine if I got an apartment. What's your opinion? Please help. Thank you

2 Lawyer Answers

Angela L. Haas

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: It is fine that you got an apartment; however, it sounds like you need to file for custody as soon as possible. There are other things you can do to protect yourself and the evidence which you will need for your case. Consult a separate attorney about how best to go about this, if your current attorney cannot offer satisfactory guidance on what to do from here.

1 user found this answer helpful

Amanda Bowden Houser

  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Getting an apartment may be legal but to describe it as 'fine' is likely not accurate. If you already have an attorney discuss it with your attorney and follow their advice. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.